About Me

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Partying It Up-Hong Kong Style, Part 3

Sorry it has taken me a couple of days to get back on the bandwagon of writing- last night when I was going to write again Natalie and I went downtown and didn’t get back until after 11, and by that time there was no way that I felt like sitting down and writing about my adventures. Anyway now to Wednesday.

Wednesday morning I woke up at about 7:15 and decided that, that was too early to be getting up (especially for me) and so went back to sleep, I was able to sleep for like another 45 minutes when I woke up again and decided to just get up and not go back to sleep. I got dressed and went next door and knocked, no response. I thought about waiting but my tummy had other plans and so just went downstairs and had breakfast by myself, they had a little change in the food and so I made myself an “egg mcmuffin” with juice. While I was “enjoying” my breakfast this random white guy came up and asked me where I was from, I told him the US and he asked if I was there for pleasure or business and then I kind of explained about being in Taiwan, when I was done he was like well welcome, enjoy your visit. As he walked away I thought that it was one of the randomest experiences that I have ever had. When I was done eating breakfast I headed back upstairs and knocked on Nathan and Sallee’s door, Sallee answered and Nathan was in the shower. While we were waiting for Nathan I read a little bit of a book that Sallee had brought and was done with.

Once they had eaten and were all ready to go we headed down towards the ferry where we to the information center to reserve rickets for a boat tour that we were wanting to go on, on Thursday. We had read that on Wednesday there were about 6 museums in the area that had free admission (thank goodness, the places that we went to were cool but I don’t know if I would have gotten as excited about having to pay for all of them), the first one that we went to was an Art and Cultural theater, as you can imagine because it was a theater there wasn’t tons to look at, though there were some photos that were really well done, they had done the effect where you only leave one thing colored and the rest black and white, it is normally not my favorite photography effect but the way they had done it was quite amazing. Once we were done with the Art and Cultural Theater we headed off for the Science Museum. Because it was sunny and hot outside it felt like it took forever to get there (at least to me), but we finally arrived. For those of you that don’t know me, science has never been my favorite subject in school (or outside of school for that matter) and so I was a little hesitant and not excited about going there. I am soooooooo glad that we went though, the place was AMAZING! I think that if I lived in Hong Kong I would go there very Wednesday and could probably stay there for hours. There were all of these different presentations that you could go watch and tons of little games that you could play. There was this awesome mirror maze that you could walk through; they had so many different kinds of mirrors that made you do different things. I realized partially why I love working with kids, when you break down science and make it for a kid I enjoy it and can understand it- why can’t everything be like that?

About when we were done with the science museum was when my stomach started talking to me, saying something along the lines that it was hungry and that I should probably feed it or it’s quite whispers would turn into screeching like an angry cat. We decided to try an Indian place, I had never tried Indian food and so was game to try it. So when you take the first bite of the Indian food it tastes really good and you think that it is going to be one of the most amazing meals that you have ever had before, but wait like 1.27 minutes and you mouth starts with a little tingling, give it like another .13 minutes and it turns into a full rage fire in your mouth- which for some might be really cool, but for me having a full rage fire in my mouth was not completely enjoyable. As I looked through my tear stained eyes at Nathan I noticed that I was not the only one having a fire, except Nathan’s seemed to be on his head at sweat poured down his face, I looked towards Sallee hoping that she would be joining us in this strangely entertaining party of heat but noticed that she seemed to be sitting fine like she was in a nice ice bath and felt cool as could be (darn people who can hold their heat). I can at least say that I have tried Indian food, it’s a stamp in my food passport, but I don’t know if I ever want to go through that again.

Next on our list for the day was the space museum, it sounded really cool to me and so I was a little excited to be going there, sadly though it was not as cool as it had sounded. I believe that half of the stuff that we walked by was broken (which really disappointed me as I really wanted to move rocks with the claw L), I think that we might have spent half an hour in there total.

There was this little thing that they have made called Avenue of Stars, basically like a mini version of Hollywood, I didn’t really stop to look at any of the statues or the hands in the ground- kind of boring to me as I didn’t know half of them. I guess though that some people thought that it was really cool because it was quite crowded as we were walking by.

After the Avenue of Stars we caught the ferry over to Hong Kong Island and then hailed a bus (is it really called hailing when there are bunches of other people getting on?). I am not quite sure how long we were on the bus, but it was long enough for me to fall asleep and then wake up with tons of people crowding on. Sadly I had chosen the seat that was sitting backwards and so by the time we got off the bus I was not feeling very good (for some reason sitting backwards and not being able to move is not a good combination for my stomach). I was quite appreciative to get off the bus though I was still a little sleepy, so it took me a little bit to adjust to moving. We walked to this place where we caught a tram- basically a double decker but it goes on wires/cords or whatever it’s called, we got on the top and with the windows open it helped my stomach settle down very quickly. It was a cool experience, kind of bumpy though- I would say that the buses were a little more of a smooth ride than the tram was.

The tram dropped us off at one of the MTR stops that would take us back to Hong Kong, the cool part about going back to Hong Kong via the MTR is that we got to go underwater (not that you get to see it or anything), I felt a huge difference when we went under water. The train was already cool because of air conditioning but when we went under water it went close to almost freezing.

Right outside the ferry place there is a internet café, we decided to give in and stopped there to check our e-mails, blogs, sports results (I am sure), and facebook (of course :D), and I am sure some other stuff. I am quite surprised how well I did that trip with not having internet, this past weekend the internet was out the whole time and both Natalie and I were quite literally going stir crazy with not having it, we kept on thinking of all these things that we wanted to work on but they all involved the internet.

I asked if we could stop back at the temple street market again, I had had chance by now to look at other places and there were a couple of things that I wanted to get that I hadn’t earlier, so we took a bus and then walked to the market. While there I bought another purse (Natalie asked me the other day how many I have bought since coming here and I am proud to say 5! I know someone’s jaw probably just dropped but I will have you know that they are not all for me), some more chopsticks (they are gifts people!), and some really cute earrings (which I actually wore today!). By this time we were a little hungry so we stopped at one of the places in the middle of the market and ordered some food, I got some sweet and sour chicken which was amazing, they had it perfect with tons of crunch! After that we were all kind of pooped and so we walked home, I showered, wrote in my journal and then went to bed.

*for Thursday and Friday I did not write everything down that happened so I do not know how detailed they will be, it is 11 right now so I think that I will stop and finish up tomorrow. Just think though, I am almost caught up with Hong Kong! Now all that will be left is Halloween, the wedding reception that we went to last weekend, and this week! (plus pictures which for some stupid reason it’s not letting me post right now).

Love you all and hope that you are having a most amazing Wednesday!

~Betherd~

y

No comments:

Post a Comment