About Me

Monday, December 1, 2008

Picnic

I can't believe how many posts I still have to make, I was making a list yesterday and I am pretty sure that the list was up to like 10 different things that I need to catch up on, so I guess I had just better start and work my way through it. As many of you know two Friday's ago we took the preschool on a picnic to a park that was like 10 or blocks away from the preschool (which when you are doing it with 40+ 3-5 year olds it is a big job, even if there is no one driving on the streets).
We started the day off by having the normal 20 minute classes (the first hour) in hopes of giving those that normally come to school late a chance to get there before we left, I think though that everyone made sure that they were there on time. When we were done with classes everyone made sure to hit the potty and then we started lining up, the 5 year olds were the first out the gate and they lined up waiting for a 3 year old to join them. Then the 4 year olds were partnered up with each other. I was quite impressed with how well the 5 year olds did, they walked on the outside with the 3 year old on the inside and they were pointing out things to them all along the way and talking to them, they looked so cute.
When we began there was an adult like every 4-5 feet walking between the kids and the road, for some reason there was a lot in the back where I was so I moved forward towards the 5 and 3 year olds, I hadn't been up there very long when Yuling asked me/told me (more of the told me) that I would help block traffic when we came to crossroads, she assured me that she would be on one side and that I would be on the other. I am pretty sure that not once did I see Yuling on the other side as we blocked traffic. I was pretty tired by the time we got to the park though, as I would be at the front of the line and I would stop the traffic while the whole group crossed and as soon as they were all passed I would have to run forward to be at the front for when they crossed another road.
Besides the traffic stopping the day was very pleasant, I was able to relax and the parents and Chinese teachers mostly took care of everything else. Of course the kids didn't stay away from me, they wanted to share everything with me. It made me laugh at how many of the kids had just bags of candy and chips for their lunch, they hadn't brought anything healthy (I don't think that most of the parents are used to providing lunch as normally it is prepared by the school and they don't have to worry about it). Beforehand Yuling had told me that I wouldn't really need to bring a lunch as the kids would be more than willing to share theirs with me, she wasn't joking, everytime I turned there was someone new handing me something, some that I found that I liked and many others that I found that I didn't like. Some of the things that were brought to share with me were duck (Kristy's Grandma), chicken leg (Fiona's Mom), Robitusen (Jimmy- yeah I was a little confused, isn't this a medicine?), and tea (Joy's Mom)... there is a story behind Joy's mom bringing tea to share. I am not sure if she realized that we couldn't have tea but she brought like 8 cups to share with all the teachers, when she got there Michelle asked me if I could have tea and I told her no that I couldn't, she was like ahhh, you, Yuling, and Stephanie cannot have tea that leaves just Jane and me...that is a lot of tea.
I mentioned in my pictures that I should tell you the story of Wendy and my bag of chips... I had a bag of chips that I was munching on when Wendy came up to me, I figured that since everyone else was sharing with me I might as well share with her too so I offered her a chip, she took one and sat down eating it. When she was done she walked away, it wasn't very long though before Wendy was back and she just reached into my bag and grabbed another chip, someone came up and she offered them a chip. I was pretty much done and so I wasn't really holding the bag anymore, it was kind of sitting on the bench in front of me, so Wendy picked it up and was just kind of holding it. I was just sitting there when Wendy got up and walked away... WITH MY BAG OF CHIPS!!! I was like what the heck, she just stole my bag of chips, she wandered around for a little bit and then came back and gave it to me. I just thought that it was hilarious that she totally stole my bag of chips.
When we had been there for a couple of hours they started to gather all of the kids together and sent them home in cars (I think that it probably took like 3 loads with 2-3 cars, but we did eventually get everyone back to the school). I could tell that it was time to go home as some kids were getting a little sad and crying when their moms/dads/grandmas left.
After nap time we just had a short movie all together and then the day was over. All in all it was a very relaxing day and I enjoyed myself.
I didn't do very well at taking pictures but here are the few that I did take (I can't wait until I get the CD of pictures from Yuling that she has been taking while I have been here--though of course I am pretty sure that I have taken more then her).
Enjoy!

Picnic

~Bethered~

No comments:

Post a Comment