About Me

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I'm Sorry

Monday I took my cell phones with me to class as we were talking about phone safety and I wanted the kids have phones to practice. I struggle to have the kids understand that it's not okay to come into class and start grabbing things, they need to sit down and wait until I give instructions and then they will be able to play with what I brought, but until then it's not okay. The 3 and 4 year olds did pretty well at not grabbing my phones, but when the 5 year olds came in Yukai walked up to the shelf where I keep my stuff and picked up my cell phone. When he was done he put it down so that it dropped behind the shelf, I was not happy about having to pull out the shelf to get my (borrowed) cell phone. When I pulled it out the the back of the case was popped off, I was afraid that he had broken it.
Luckily nothing was wrong with it and it started up fine, but I wanted them to understand that it wasn't okay to touch my stuff, so I let Yukai know that I wasn't very happy about him touching my stuff, once I said that to him I was willing to let it go, but at that point Teacher Apple walked in. She asked what had happened and was not very happy with Yukai, after class she kept telling him to say sorry teacher, he wouldn't. She dragged him out of class, looking ready to cry.
After lunch, when I was setting up the beds for nap time Teacher Apple walked back in with Yukai. Yukai was clutching a piece of paper in his hand, he handed it to me and just sat down on the ground. I read it and told him that I still loved him, that I wasn't angry with him but this is why I ask that they not touch my stuff when they come in class. I asked him if he understood and then gave him a big hug.

I'm sorry that he felt bad, bad enough to not want to eat his lunch and to feel like crying. But I also believe that you need to use those moments to teach and make sure that there is reasons that you ask them to do things.

No comments:

Post a Comment