About Me

Friday, December 4, 2009

(DD) Holiday Decor

"The joy of brightening other lives, bearing each others' burdens, and supplanting empty hearts and lives with generous gifts becomes for us the magic of Christmas." W.C. Jones

PICTURE: A favorite piece of holiday decor.

WRITE: Talk about a sentimental piece of holiday decor.
I am not quite sure why this is one of my favorite holiday things but for some reason it has always been. My Grandma and Grandpa Williams cut and painted the tree and all the pieces that go with it. Growing up every year my parents would write on the calendar who's day it was to pick an ornament and hang it on the tree, they would rotate every Christmas who got to put the star on Christmas morning- generally if we had a visitor they were bestowed that "great" opportunity. When I was younger I always thought that my turn never came soon enough and once every 6 years was not cool to get to put the star on tree, so every time my turn came around I would pretend to take a long time considering what ornament to put up but then I would pick the star and put it on the tree-sometimes on the top where it belonged or other times somewhere else (in hopes that my Mom wouldn't notice). Most of the time my Mom wouldn't catch on the first time but then she would and every other time she would check and tell me to go back and change it, I always would giggle and go do it-it was almost like getting the double amount of turns. (This year because it's just Mom and I and as we have two advent calendars Mom has taken over the one in the kitchen and I get to do the tree in the living room-it's not quite as fun when it's yours to do as you please :D)

REMEMBER: Do you have any decorating traditions that were handed down to you?
Mom and I have been discussing it and she can't really think of any that have been continuing traditions except the candles. We have electric candles that we put in every window of our house, Mom said that was something that she had in her house growing up also.

No comments:

Post a Comment