About Me

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Baptism Covenants


Last week my roommate gave a talk at Church about Baptism. She had an idea of what she wanted to say but was still looking for a little more to help share her thoughts. She explained to me what she wanted and I started Google searching. I found this sermon given by a man of another faith entitled Remembering Our Baptism. This part really stood out to me...

"Every baptism...ought to be an occasion to remember our own baptism...whether we have a memory of the actual event or not, the fact of our baptism ought to have continuing significance and impact upon our lives. It ought to be for us a source of continual strength and comfort. Baptism isn’t just a onetime past event but an ongoing reality. We have a new identity in Christ. Every day we are to live out the meaning of our baptism. When we are baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, God says to you and me: “You are mine. I have called you my name. You are my beloved child. Follow me."To remember our baptism is to realize afresh that we belong not to ourselves but to God; Knowing that makes all the difference in the way we live:
To remember our baptism is to find new courage in the scary situations of life. If we truly
belong to God, if we are God's own, we can be sure that no matter what frightening thing may
come our way, God will not allow us to perish."

No comments:

Post a Comment