About Me

Saturday, May 8, 2010

My Mom's On Facebook!!

I was looking at a couple of websites for ideas of what to blog about, you know for those days that Beth's brain goes blank and her world is wiped clean (I'm sure it will happen someday!). One blog had a list of 100 topics that you could write about, most of them were either boring or didn't really apply to me and my blog (such as Branding Strategies I Use), but one that just made me laugh was "My Mom's On Facebook." Yes, my Mom is on Facebook, but I have to admit, I'm the one that set-up the account for her and she hardly ever uses it.
This is the first time that I have heard/read something about concern/happiness with parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles/etc. being on Facebook. Some people have some very strong opinions against it, they think that it's weird and they don't like having the adults in their lives watching over every move that they are making.
Now I have a slightly different opinion about this, and maybe it's because I'm not a 13 year old girl who really likes a cute boy or 15 year old boy that is drinking every night, or because of the parents that I have had but I'm ok with adults being on facebook...
BUT! (yep there's a but) I think that there needs to be some rules and the adults need to have some certain understandings before they join Facebook or any other social website. These websites were created for the younger generation and as such have certain ways things are done, it is the responsibility of the adult to understand how things are done and follow those social unwritten "rules." If they are not willing to follow those I can understand how a teenager would have a problem with Mom being on Facebook.
So, yes, my Mom's on Facebook, and I'm ok with it as long as she follows the social "rules," if she doesn't she will most certainly hear from me (but with her maybe getting on once a month I'm not too concerned :D).

No comments:

Post a Comment